With everyone working from home, it’s more important than ever to be in the same room with your coworkers without actually being in the same room. Luckily, Skype’s tried and tested services are available for everyone free of charge. This guide will walk you through the basic steps of setting up a skype account, downloading and using the app, and a set of tips and tricks everyone can use to help the workday run smoothly and fun!
Step 1: How to install Skype:
First thing first, go to Skype’s website here. Click on Downloads in the upper left corner of the website.
The website will take a moment to detect your computer’s operating system, then will display a Download button for you. Click on the Download button and run the executable file.
Step 2: How to set up a Skype account:
- After successfully installing Skype, you will first need to log in using your Microsoft account. If you do not have one, you can create a new account easily. If you need help creating a Microsoft account, you can find Microsoft’s step-by-step guide here.
- After entering your account information, you will be prompted to set a profile picture (which you can skip if you so choose) and choose which devices the app will use to send and receive video and audio data.
- After specifying which devices (Camera, microphone, and speakers) you intend the app to function with, you will be given the option to run several diagnostic tests to ensure the devices are working properly. Once this is completed, the app’s full functions and capabilities will be at your fingertips.
(Note: If you are unable to select your desired device, or if Skype is not detecting all of your devices, please refer to our more in-depth guide to resolving hardware/software conflicts here.
Step 3: How to use Skype:
Skype has three main features:
- Sending and receiving audio calls
- Sending and receiving video calls, and
- Sending and receiving text messages.
Sending calls and text messages from Skype to another Skype account is free, but sending calls or texts to a mobile or landline number from Skype is not.
The rates for contacting cell and landline numbers vary depending on your country or Skype phone plan. For more details and pricing, you can Skype’s international calling page.
- To launch a Skype meeting, simply click the ‘Meet Now’ button that should appear as soon as the app is opened.
- Afterward, you will be able to customize your meeting’s name and are given a link to the meeting that anyone can use to access the meeting, even if they don’t own Skype.
- Additionally, you can add specific contact information for individual people by selecting the ‘Contacts’ tab on the left side of the app window. There you can add contacts based either on skype accounts or by phone number.
- After you add someone as a contact, you can call them personally without starting an open meeting, with either video and audio or just audio.
- You still have the option to invite other people into the call by pressing the ‘+’ button in the call window. If you wish to end the call, simply click on the red handset button, and you will leave the call.
Skype is a ubiquitous tool for staying connected with family, friends, and colleagues across major distances, and has only become more useful over time.
Knowledge of navigating and operating the app is crucial to making the most of your experience.
How to uninstall Skype:
It’s entirely possible that, after using Skype for an extended period, you may find yourself unsatisfied with the service and wish to remove it from your computer. The steps to do this are different depending on what operating system you are using.
Have a question we haven’t answered here? Ask a question on Sage to get help from our community or a 1:1 private answer from an expert.